Sunday, March 1, 2009

Carson Reading




Carson and Taylor have known their sounds for over a year now, but haven't shown much interest in putting sounds together until recently. They have learned to spell words by memorization for many months as well. I didn't want to press the issue of reading until I thought they were ready because they do not start Kindergarten until August of 2010 (18 mo away). BUT Carson told me that he wanted to start reading some books, so I did the first few lessons with him. This weekend when Uncle Blake was here I wanted to see if Carson could sound out and read his first Phonics book...and HE DID! He read the entire thing and was extremely proud of himself. It was about 10 pages with 1-4 words on each page. He sounded out all the words. He went on to read it again to his daddy when he came home from work. Taylor told me tonight that she wanted to start learning her lessons. Now, the real teacher comes out in me.......oh the different learning styles and teaching styles! I have been proud as a teacher of my students many times, but none seems to compare to my own children when I have taught them something. Thank you God for giving me the spiritual gift of teacher......

3 comments:

Emily said...

That is so awesome! I bet you are excited beyond belief! Way to go, Carson!

Brittany said...

Ah! I love this post! I know that you must be so excited. I have thought about that, as a teacher, what it will be like when I teach Layton new concepts. I can't wait!!

You are going to have to very smart kiddos on your hands!! Growing up w/ Adam...I remember thinking he was always SO smart, yet very humble. Such a great guy!

Thanks for sharing! :-)

The Knight Family said...

WAy to go!!!!! That is so AWESOME!
Emma grace is still working on her ABC's