Monday, March 10, 2008

Spring is here!

I know it is Spring now when my husband is out mowing the yard. Yes folks, our yard has now been mowed for the first time in 2008. I know it is Spring when I see fertilizer and grass seed already sitting in the garage. I know it is Spring when Adam called the irrigation company today to add another water meter to our irrigation system. Yes, it is Spring. And I love it! Carson mowed the yard with his Little Tykes mower right beside his daddy. Taylor and I cleaned house inside and afterwards painted fingernails. I so enjoyed the 65 degree temperature today and am looking for the sunny weather the rest of the week. I know it is Spring because SPRING BREAK is next week. Spring Break is one of the benefits of being a teacher. Today was a fabulous day at school in 8th Grade. We are starting a new plan to help those failing students that don't succeed in any subject or in any area. These students just get left out in the cold. Each teacher has "adopted" a few students to watch over and mentor for the rest of the year to help monitor these students. You never know when you can make a difference in the life of a child. I met with my three students individually this morning. I told them that I was going to be their new "mom" here at school. I also introduced them to their new "brother" or "sister" (peer mentor) that was going to help them as well. I told them we were going to work like a triangle all reaching for one goal: student to be successful in 8th grade. A lot of emotions were flying today about realization that some students just may not pass the 8th grade. It was a great maturing day for some students today....an eye opener if you will. This is why I still teach even just a few days a week. It is a great feeling to help students. I was leaving my room with a satisfaction of a day well spent UNTIL one of my failing students came up to me and said, "Mom, I could use 40 bucks.!!!"

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

how funny Ashley!!! Thats great that you are able to help them out though! Good work!